The holiday season is in full swing…work parties, shopping expeditions, family get-togethers. It “should” all be so very festive, but this non-stop overstimulating month can cause even the most mindful of folks to hit autopilot or multi-task themselves out of merriment.
Instead of falling into this trap of December becoming a numbing blur of calories, hollow rituals, and superficial conversations, wouldn’t it be wonderful to really savor the sights, sounds, tastes, and connections of the season?
Below are 10 simple ideas (including a guided meditation download from yours truly) for helping you be more present in your body and the moments of this holiday season. I suggest you commit to tackling one mindful activity each day this month to help bring you back home to the here and now and all the presents/presence it contains.
Happy Holidays, Dearest, and keep in mind these words from D.H. Lawrence…The living moment is everything.
P.S. If your goal is to be more present, joyful, and at peace year-round…you definitely need to get yourself on-board the New Year Life Reboot! Registration for my first Toronto Life Reboot Program of 2018 is now open! Also, check out my Word of the Year workshop and grad circles below!
P.P.S. Our Soul Journey to Egypt is just ONE MONTH away! What an epic way to launch a spectacular 2018! I’d love you to join us.
1. Conscious Eating – Instead of mindlessly ingesting the treat tray, try eating one item slowly and consciously. Take the time to smell its aroma before you take a bite and then with each chew really explore the taste and texture in your mouth.
2. Little Teachers – Small kids are DELIGHTED by this time of year. When you interact with little ones this season, tune into their energy of wonder and enthusiasm, and actually try embodying it yourself! Connect to how it feels to be that present.
3. Breath Breaks – Set a reminder (with a pleasant ping) to go off on your smartphone every couple of hours. When it does, STOP, take a deep breath, and tune in to the moment. Exhale and let go into your body. Your breath is one of your simplest and most effective tools for coming back to the present.
4. Mindful Exchanges – Avoid checking out during convos at holiday gatherings… Take a moment to really tune into the energy of your Uncle John or Mae from accounting and then listen to them like they’re your greatest teacher in that moment. Focus completely on what they’re communicating instead of what you’re going to say next (you know what I’m talking about!)
5. Yoga – Trade in a mall trip (online shopping, yo!) for a yoga class. This moving meditation helps anchor you in your body which, in turn, anchors you in the moment. There are also so many awesome free yoga videos online if you don’t feel like braving the cold. Yoga with Adriene is one of my faves!
6. Reality Check – Whenever you find yourself stressing over how you’re going to get it all done, stop and ask yourself: “Am I in grave danger right now?” Take a moment to realize that despite the panic cues of your body, you most likely aren’t. Then ask yourself: “What is so right now?” Take note that you are probably in a relatively safe place surrounded by a lot of abundance and nothing is trying to kill you. 😉
7. Music Appreciation – Put on some holiday music today and make it your sole focus for a bit (not just background for cleaning, walking, reading, etc.) Breathe the music in and really feel it. Bonus points for singing along on the top of your lungs!
8. Wake-up Walk – If you feel like you’re falling into a holiday coma, get out for a mindful walk. Feel the snow, ice, or solid ground beneath your feet with each step, be conscious of the crisp air moving through your body, and look for things you’ve never noticed before.
9. Furry Sages – If your animal companion is trying to distract you from gift-wrapping to play or cuddle…let them! Really absorb the purring or tail-wagging. Let them draw you as much into the delicious present as they are.
10. Meditation – A few minutes of meditation a day is a powerful safeguard against sleepwalking through the holiday season. If you’d like a little assistance getting started, I recorded this 9-minute Presence Check-In to help you. ** CLICK HERE TO LISTEN to this simple guided meditation to help bring you back to the moment. My gift to you… xo
WORD OF THE YEAR WORKSHOP
What quality is calling to you for 2018? Joy? Space? Courage? Sexy? Serenity? Magic? Love? Adventure? Soften? Power?
This intimate one-night workshop (10 people max) has become a fave annual tradition for my tribe and for me. In this moving, fun, and powerful evening you will:
– mine 2017 for its best gifts and lessons
– do a ritual to release what you DON’T want to take into the New Year
– get clear on what you are truly longing for in 2018
– uncover your specific word/energy of the year
– use various tools to energize the quality and tangibly weave it into your year ahead!
Cost for evening workshop: $40
Tues., Jan. 9, 2017
7 to 10pm – TORONTO
(small workshops for grads of my programs)
Thurs., Jan. 4
OR Wed., Jan. 10You will mine 2017 for its best gifts and lessons, go through a ritual to release what isn’t serving you from this past year, get clear on what you are truly longing for in 2018, determine your word/energy of the year, and use various tools to energize that quality and weave it into your year ahead! *My “Word of the Year” Grad Circles will be open to guests of grads as well.
The Life Reboot Program is a personal development intensive to explore, center, and ignite your life.
You might have tried various courses, books, workshops, therapies, etc. in the past to breakthrough to the next level of your life, but things just didn’t stick. Well, this soulful, practical, and sometimes rowdy body/mind/spirit adventure uses DAILY work (powerful audio recordings, exercises, & email coaching) to create shifts on a tangible real-life level along with intimate and exhilarating weekly workshops (10 people maximum).
The result is deep, tangible, and lasting changes. Think of this as your own 7-week personal revolution!
Get ready to:
- Take on that big dream you’ve been feeling stuck around
- Stop living on autopilot and WAKE UP
- Bust through stress and anxiety and find a deep sense of peace and contentment
- Build a customized life game-plan for your most spectacular future
- Laugh more: lighten up and invite in more joy, fun and creativity
- Free yourself from self-imposed limits & unleash your full power
- Invite more love into your life & cultivate deeper, more satisfying relationships
- Uncover who you truly are
- Take specific action to help heal the world
- Love your life
With just the right mix of loving support and kick-ass motivation, I personally guide you through every step of this process to clear out the crap and jump-start your life. With the small group sizes you receive plenty of individual attention. We do deep, profound work in the Life Reboot Program, but we also have a gut-busting good time doing it. There will be fascinating concepts to explore, but a big emphasis will also be put on life strategizing and practical game-plans. If you’re willing to come to the program with a sense of curiosity and you do the work, your life will change…I’ve seen it happen hundreds of times before.
Soul Journey to Egypt is a rare, small group adventure for men and women of discovery, enlivening, and renewal in one of the most mystical lands in the world!
This 10-day growth odyssey (Jan. 13-23), in benefit of Canada’s Animal Justice and the Egyptian Society for Mercy to Animals, includes my workshops throughout to explore, center, and empower your year ahead, the group’s own awesome Egyptologists, and getting up close and personal with the most magnificent and moving ancient sites in the world.
We’re going to stand together at the foot of the Great Pyramid and Sphinx, dance like Sufis, immerse ourselves in the exotic markets of old Cairo, hot-balloon over the monuments of Luxor, explore village life in Middle Egypt, and sail down the Nile like Cleopatra on a 4-night cruise to explore the hidden gems from Luxor to Aswan.
Let the mystical land of Egypt (with a little help from me!) awaken your most powerful and alive self!
VIDEO AND FULL ITINERARY
“The mind is like a butterfly that flits from one flower to the next. Seldom do we find ourselves nestled in the exquisite and eternal ocean of here and now.” – Denise Linn